[Localization] Bahasa Melayu translator registration problem

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sun Feb 15 23:50:00 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Mohd Lazim <decfiv at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've invited my friends from Malaysia Open Source Software group to
> register in Pootle and do the translation for Bahasa Melayu. 2 of them try
> to register and they got this error.
>
> 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 4: ordinal not in
> range(128)
>
> Can anyone explain me why this happen. How can I solve this problem so that
> all my friends can register in Pootle server

Lazim,

A number of users have seen this error, but it does not seem to prevent them
from registering or translating.

This has been seen before:
http://en.forum.laptop.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1985

It seems to be some error in the python code in jtoolkit having to do with
non-ASCII characters in a username in the database.   I suspect it has
something to do with the fact that we are using a somewhat older version of
Pootle.

Please have your colleagues send an e-mail to me (off-list) and I will check
their accounts and help them with activation if they did not get an
activation e-mail from the registration process.

cjl

cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com