[Localization] What happened with German and French keyboard layouts?

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Feb 12 12:45:55 EST 2009

On 12.02.2009, at 17:49, Nicholas Bodley wrote:

> The recent G1G1 included Europe, just about sure, which meant that
> these
> two letter layouts were really needed in some countries. However,
> the last
> I heard, some months ago, OLPC was not going to make them available.
> I'd
> love to know what was done for French and German keyboard countries;
> an
> off-list reply is OK with me, but might be of interest to the whole
> list.

Can't comment on the French layout but there apparently will not be a
German layout. Even though one of the design goals of the rubber
membrane keyboard was specifically to be easily/cheaply customizable,
OLPC/Quanta do not want to deal with additional keyboards. Also a
proposed catch-all solution (blank keyboards to be printed in-country)
has been ignored so far.

- Bert -