[Localization] What happened with German and French keyboard layouts?

Nicholas Bodley nbodley at speakeasy.net
Thu Feb 12 12:43:48 EST 2009

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009 12:31:11 -0500, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com>
wrote:

> G1G1 shipped with US International keyboards only. They couldn't manage
> the SKUs.

Thanks.

That's quite unfortunate. Shortly after I learned of the decision not to
offer those keyboards, I learned that "QWERTZ" (the German layout) is used
in quite a few countries (and, of course, that "AZERTY" is used in a
number, as well). Some of those countries are not wealthy, and XOs would
probably be very welcome. The next major design of the XO, I expect, will
have software-defined graphics for its keyboard, so that changing a keymap
will be very easy.

While on that topic, a Russian company is now selling (or was, until the
financial meltdown) a keyboard with a small OLED display inside every
keytop. It's costly, though; not at all appropriate for a low-cost
computer.

Regards,

--
Nicholas Bodley /|*|\ Waltham, Mass.