[Localization] 8.2 Languages, Keyboards and Layouts

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 08:56:16 EDT 2008

Hi Sayamindu and team,

Can I get a sanity check on the documentation regarding language support
in 8.2?

The relevant section of the release notes is at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_Notes/8.2.0#Languages_and_keyboards

Please confirm that all of those languages listed are in the base 8.2
image. Can you also add the localization code e.g. mn_MN and maybe the
text as it would appear in the language control panel if you think that
would be useful.

You can use a wild card to cover and a note to cover sub-variants. e.g.
es_* means we support Spanish and you get the same translation for all
variants.

Another helpful item (aka not critical but nice to have if someone has
time) here would be to link to the documentation on how to change
keyboard mappings. A brief explanation about what to do to change the
keyboard layout may go a long way towards answering support questions.

BTW for my own edification, do we "automatically" change the keyboard
layout if we load 8.2 on an XO with a non-English keyboard?

Also, please see the release check list for this release at:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/ECO/8.2.0/Checklist#Test

We want a somewhat more rigorous test of a few key languages. Please
update that section of the checklist as needed and let me know what
final test you think we should do to "sign off" on a language in this
release.

Kim,

On the keyboard list. Can you confirm that all of those keyboards listed
can be manufactured and that we will test them?

I would rather be conservative and correct here, so please remove any
that are not completely confirmed and available.

Thanks,

Greg S