[Localization] [PROPOSAL] Change PILGRIM_LOCALES_* to better reflect the current situation

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 04:52:13 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Korakurider <korakurider at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> If you are suggesting changes to gettext runtime...
>>>
>>> Etoys is using gettext emulation implemented with Smalltalk code.
>>> (I think Python do similar)
>>> Do you think also changes to Etoys's stuff is needed ?
>>> And could you provide pointer to the patch you mentioned?
>>>

>> It's a modification to glibc, so it depends on how gettext is
>> emulated. The patch is at
>> http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/local-altlocaledir.diff
>    Thanks.
>    Both Etoys and Python (I reviewed gettext.py) don't use the
> function in glibc and decide MO location by themselves, so would need
> changes...

Ok - I'll take a look. Ubuntu does this for Python based programmes as
well, so I'll take a look at their Python package.

>    One more question.
>    I think SugarLabs intend to deliver artifacts to more non-XO platforms.
>    How translations will be delivered for non-XO platform?  Will the
> langpack RPM work?
>    Or, aren't translations (for langs that aren't blessed by OLPC)
> chopped in distro for non-XO?

There might be two options
a) Keep the existing language pack option for distributions that do
not carry this glibc/python patch
b) Ask the distributions to patch their own glibc and try to utilize
the RPM based packs (we can use alien to convert the RPMs into debs if
required - these should not be much complicated RPMs)

Thanks,
Sayamindu

--
Sayamindu Dasgupta