[Localization] [PROPOSAL] Change PILGRIM_LOCALES_* to better reflect the current situation

Erik Garrison erik at laptop.org
Wed Sep 10 16:12:48 EDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 01:38:15AM +0530, Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 12:39 AM, C. Scott Ananian <cscott at laptop.org> wrote:
> >>>>

> > Can we quantify the space tradeoffs here?  If localization is taking a
> > significant amount of space, it might eventually be reasonable to
> > install translations *only* for the sugar-related packages, and not
> > for bash, sed, etc.  But if they are relatively small, you're right,
> > why not include them all?
> >  --scott
>

> Currently, the size increase will be 6 MB (from 18 MB (seen in
> 8.2-759) to 24 MB (seen in joyride 2415)).  It may be a good idea to
> strip the translations for sed, bash, etc, but is there any
> straightforward method to do that ?
> Thanks,
> Sayamindu

I don't think that there is any specific reason to chop localizations
from ext3 (qemu-oriented) images.  If anything it's caused headaches for
groups needing a localized qemu image.  I'm not really sure of what
benefits there are as such images are not to be installed on XOs.

Are we in agreement on this?

Erik