[Localization] Status on SCIM

Nicolas Spalinger nicolas_spalinger at sil.org
Fri Sep 5 10:04:30 EDT 2008

Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Jim Gettys <jg at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Sayamindu,
>>
>> I still see no compelling reason to convert the existing layouts to
>> scim, at least in the short term.  It may certainly be best for future
>> keyboards to do it "the new way".
>>
>> What am I missing?
>>                           - Jim
>>

> If we want to keep the existing XKB based system, we would have to
> load SCIM conditionally, which I want to avoid (and maintaining and
> supporting two different IMs might be a bit of pain). Also, even some
> of the existing keyboard layouts would benefit from a switch to SCIM
> (eg: Amharic and Nepali).
> From what I understand (till now) - it is not a major effort to
> convert existing XKB symbol files to .mim files, the process should be
> relatively straightforward and easily scriptified. Of course, I don't
> have a proof of concept yet :-)
>
> Thanks,
> Sayamindu

Hi,

Maybe Martin Hosken's keyboard formats translation scripts can provide
some inspiration:
http://scripts.sil.org/svn-view/utilities/keyboards/trunk/scripts/

BTW, did you review the KMFL SCIM plugin I mentionned in an earlier
thread? Pulling in existing open keyboards should save some work.

HTH,

--
Nicolas Spalinger
http://scripts.sil.org