[Localization] Simple terminology

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 22:18:24 EDT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:16 AM, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 3:15 AM, David Leeming
> <david.leeming at schoolnet.net.sb> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Please can someone refer me to a simple guide to the terminology of the
>> OLPC translation system
>>
>> - Fructose / Glusoce, Honey etc
>> - 0.82 versions of some of the above
>>
>> I have tried to find the info on the wiki but :(
>>

> David,
>
> I may have a few of the details wrong, but here is my general understanding.

   You could see in git repository for Glucose/Fructose components
(other than Etoys) that there is trunk(or master) and sucrose-0.82
branch.
   (e.g. https://dev.laptop.org/git?p=sugar;a=summary )
   sucrose-0.82 branch was used to release 8.2 (sucrose 0.82).
   trunk is unstable stream for the latest development activity.
Right now this is being used toward future release.

   Pootle projects is closely tied to specific stream (i.e. trunk or
branch) in repo;
   + If new string appear in source code, POT will be generated and
merged into each language POs.
   + By commiting on Pootle, PO is pushed to the stream.

   As you might notice Pootle projects with 0.82 are tied to
sucrose-0.82 branch that is stable 8.2, while projects without 0.82
are tied to trunk.  So Glucose project has newer string than (stable)
Glucose 0.82.

   I don't know how people can populate translations for releases
older than 8.2 on Pootle.

> The .82 distinction is about the fact that while sugar.82 (roughly
> corresponding to the 8.2 release of build 767) has a few strings that are
> new, most deployments have not yet moved to 8.2 releases yet, although
> hopefully they will over time, so Glucose is the older string set and
> Glucose.82 is the newer string set.
   No.  see above.

>There is a lot of overlap and I think
> that translating strings they have in common will not need to be done twice
> but Sayamindu would have to answer about how common string sharing between
> these works out in practice.  If you will be deploying an 8.2 release, then
> you definitely want toe translate the .82 versions that has the new strings.
     After branch is created POs are managed as distinct files for
each versions,
     and you need to copy common translations to manually.
     For instance, after master is translated you could merge master
PO into 0.82 PO and do some adjustment.

> The terminology being used to speak about different parts of the Sugar
> experience are described more fully on the Sugar Labs wiki
>
> http://sugarlabs.org/go/Taxonomy
>

> Basically,
>
> Glucose is the core of sugar that sits on top of the linux underneath.  It
> doesn't include any activity strings (other than the Journal).  It is the
> raw basics, no frills, essential, a must translate.
>
> Fructose includes a few of the core activities (chat, calculate, log, pippy,
> read, terminal, browse, write) that make the XO worth using.  Another must
> translate, IMHO.  There are identical string counts between fructose and
> fructose .82, I'm not sure there are any significant differences among the
> strings, but I would go for fructose if you use a pre-8.2 release and
> fructose.82 if you are deploying an 8.2 release, may not really make any
> difference given that most activity strings are shared and didn't need to
> change along with the underlying OS.
>
> Honey  This adds a lot more activities.  Many of these are worth having,
> once you click on it, you can see the individual PO files underneath and I
> would translate any that belong to activites you want to use (TamTam,
> memorize, record, etc.)
   Activities categorized as Honey don't need to follow SugarLab's
release cycle and
   don't have 0.82 branch in repo and 0.82 project on Pootle.

hope this helps.
/Korakurider