[Localization] Abiword news, Amharic help

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 02:23:22 EST 2008

1) New features coming to AbiWord > OLPC Write

I had an interesting chat with J.M. "Marc" Maurer irc:uwog (AbiWord
maintainer) on #sugar on Saturday,  he said "new abiword release very close,
which should fix a bunch of arabic and other complex script bugs".  Asked
when this might show up in OLPC Write activity, he said " I will update
Abiword's OLPC branch in fedora immediately after I tag the release
(probably tonight), from then on, as soon as OLPC wants to ship it. I will
update jhbuild as well." as well as "5 big translation updates in 2.6.5:
eu-ES, ast-ES, pt-BR, sk-SK, ro-RO"

This sounds very positive. I would encourage anyone with an interest in how
Write handles arabic and other complex scripts to keep an eye on the release
of AbiWord 2.6.5 and to perform testing of those features as soon it is
available.  The benefits of improvements in AbiWord will flow swiftly
downstream to OLPC in Write, so it is a matter of enlightened self-interest
to submit constructive feedback to the AbiWord bug-tracker

http://bugzilla.abisource.com/

2) Amharic localization help needed

Marc also asked me to pass along a message to OPC's Amharic localizers.  He
recently posted to the Sugar list about an urgent need to have a review of
the Amharic translations in AbiWord and some additional finishing work on
that translation.

http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/sugar/2008-November/010083.html

>Hi all,
>
>Could any Amharic speaker please have a look a the AbiWord translation
>update attached in the original message[1]? All strings are marked
>'fuzzy', which makes me hesitant to commit it.
>
>Any help is very much appreciated,
>
>  Marc

>gzip of POfile

If you know any Amharic translators that could help please let them know.
Again, the benefits will flow to OLPC in that most of the Write activity's
strings can be directly copied from AbiWord's PO files into the OLPC Write
PO files.