[Localization] InputMethod doesn't work with Rainbow activity isolation

Korakurider korakurider at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 10:49:06 EST 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 7:31 AM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 9:08 AM, Korakurider <korakurider at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi.
>>
>> I have difficulty to make Japanese input method (SCIM-anthy) work on 8.2-767.
>> Input method can't be activated on activity window even if hit
>> Ctrl-Space (IME on/off switch).
>> After some experiment I found that IME can be activated if activity
>> isolation is disabled.
>> If isolation is enabled, I can activate IME only in terminal activity.
>> Any clue to make it work even with isolation?
>>
>> Sayamindu,
>> Just a quick report though ...
>> I also tested ibus-anthy.
>> Now installation is straightforward with yum.
>> While it is also affected by isolation, I can activate it and input
>> Japanese string
>> into activity window.
>>

> Could you replace the attached files in your XO (/usr/bin/olpc-session
> and /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/rainbow/service.py) and test ?
> (ideally rainbow should be enabled)
>
> I tested with scim-anthy, and it works for me (to be on the safe side,
> edit ~/.i18n and set it to en_US.UTF-8)
>
> All activities seem to work, except for Scratch and Etoys. Maybe you
> can understand better what is happening here ?

Confirmed. By replacing the files now scim-anthy works even with
isolation enabled.
(my locale setting is ja_JP.utf8 in ~/.i18n and envrionment variable)
while IME still can't be activated for Etoys and Scratch.  Both are
using (basically same) Linux Squeak VM so root cause of the problem
would be same...
I will discuss with Etoys folks about this...

Thanks,
/Korakurider