[Localization] Fwd: User information page for each language

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Wed May 28 10:43:58 EDT 2008

I believe in informed opt-in.  Publishing e-mail addresses without explicit
consent is a bad choice and it is arguably a violation of OLPC Privacy
Policy http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC:Privacy_policy

"All user data that is not made public, including email addresses and IPs
associated with user accounts, will not be shared with outside parties for
any reason unless compelled by law. OLPC does not keep machine logs any
longer than necessary to maintain the site."

You might say that it is not clear that the wiki privacy policy applies to
Pootle server, but that is splitting hairs and likely to make people feel
like they have been lied to and then go away mad.  For me, it has little to
do with privacy *per se*, my "real-world" identity is easy enough to
discover by following links on my wiki user page.  It is however important
to me that organizations with which I do business state their privacy
policies and adhere to them scrupulously, even to the point of their own
inconvenience.

Obviously, many of us accept that by posting to an open and archived list,
our e-mail address will be come discoverable, even harvestable by a
spammer.  For that reason (among others) some of us go through the
inconvenience of employing a web-mail address (adding a few steps to the
e-mail process) in order to leverage Google's investment in anti-spam
technology and in a worst-case scenario, to have the ability to abandon the
address entirely.  There is no real point in making arguments about how
effective or ineffective such a strategy may be, in this case, I think
OLPC's policy is clear enough that just posting e-mail addresses is NOT an
option.

IMHO, it is however perfectly acceptable for the Pootle administrator to
send a mass-mailing (names in BCC-field, not CC) reminding everyone
registered on Pootle to create a wiki-user-page and add themselves to the
Pootle wikipage, therefore making them available via wiki-mail.  Mokurai's
idea of automating the provision of a wiki-user-page for Pootle users
(wiki-mail link doesn't expose e-mail address) also seems within bounds to
me, if you can figure out how to make it happen technically.
cjl