[Localization] khmer unicode

Bart Geesink bart at geesink.org
Tue May 27 22:40:57 EDT 2008

On Wednesday 28 May 2008 04:27:47 Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> Hi Bart,
> Could you tell us the exact steps of how to reproduce the issue you
> are seeing, and the expected results ?
> For example:
>
> I press the key 'y' and expect the character ¥ to appear, but only y
> appears.
All right, but there are quite some steps involved!
The procedure to do it is as follows:
Copy the KhmerOS fonts to a directory where they can be found. I suggest to
make the directory /usr/share/fonts/km/ and put them there. The fonts can be
downloaded from the KhmerOS sourceforge page:
http://www.sf.net/projects/khmeros (they are standard present in debian and
derivates and openSUSE afaik, but not in the Fedora repos).
Then you need to add some lines to the following file (I am not all too sure
about the first lines but it doesn't hurt to put them in):
/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/kh

partial default alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "olpc" {
    include "kh(basic)"

    key <AE01> { [ 0x10017e1,           0x100200c,              exclam,
0x10017f1       ] };
    key <AE03> { [ 0x10017e3,           0x10017d1,              quotedbl,
0x10017f3       ] };
    key <AE05> { [ 0x10017e5,           EuroSign,               percent,
0x10017f5       ] };
    key <AE12> { [ 0x10017b2,           0x10017ce,              equal,
voidsymbol      ] };
    key <AC10> { [ 0x10017be,           0x10017c8,              0x10017d6,
0x10019f5       ] };

   //language key
  key <I219> { [ ISO_Next_Group, ISO_Prev_Group ] };
};

Last you have to edit this file:
/etc/sysconfig/keyboard

And make it look like this:
KEYTABLE="us"
XKB_MODEL="olpc"
XKB_LAYOUT="us,olpc"
XKB_VARIANT="olpc2,olpc"

Then you have to edit the compose file and add some lines. I have put the
openSUSE version of the file here: http://www.geesink.org/Compose . Download
it and put it in /usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/
Then you need to change the $LANG environment variable by changing
the /etc/sysconfig/i18n and put: LANG='en_US.UTF-8'
The open up Abiword and change the keyboard layout with the language key
(the :+ key on the right side). You need to change the font as well to one of
the KhmerOS fonts. You can then type in Khmer Unicode. There are 4 combined
vowels which do not appear. You should see something when you type on a
normal US keyboard the following letters: A​​ V < and > (note that A and V
are capitals!). You should see this: ាំេះ ុះ៕ (if you don't have Khmer unicode
installed on your computer you won't see what I typed!). On the XO the
Unicode signs appear U17ff, U17fe, U17fd, and U17fc. You can also add this
line to .bashrc:
export GTK_IM_MODULE= xim as suggested in several places. However, that does
not work either.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction to solve the problem!

Cheers,
Bart