[Localization] Arabic Projects

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Wed Jul 30 11:13:56 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 10:44:07AM -0400, Nicholas Bodley wrote:

> On Wed Jul 30  7:17 , "Walter Bender"  sent:
>
> >Welcome to the project.
> >
> >Localization is more that string translation. In particular, there is
> >work to be done to improve the RTL rendering in Sugar. Do you know of
> >any Python programmers who could help with this?
> >
> >regards.
> >
> >-walter
>
> I'm really uncertain whether Sugar developers are aware of the complexity of
> rendering Arabic text acceptably. I'd love to be able to say that rendering (that
> is, displaying and printing) Arabic is easy; however, it is anything but easy.
> Surely, our native Arabic speakers are completely aware of this, but it might
> help if I explain something about what is involved, for the sake of those who
> don't yet know.

Sugar relays on Pango for text rendering, which in turn handles complex
scripts (and Arabic in particular) very well, that sugar developers
don't have to worry about script complexities. Except few bugs in
AbiWord rendering, I don't think sugar has any problems rendering
Arabic.

We have few RTL issues in the interface that can be attributed largely
to the lack of proper RTL handling in HippoCanvas.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny
 Arabic localizer and member of Arabeyes.org team