[Localization] [translate-pootle] Pootle feature request - date of the last change

Samuel Murray (Groenkloof) samuel at translate.org.za
Tue Jul 22 05:23:33 EDT 2008

Bastien Guerry wrote:

> "Samuel Murray (Groenkloof)" <samuel at translate.org.za> writes:

>> The real need is the need to see who translated what, who translated
>> when, and who translated.  As far as I know, "who translated what" is
>> currently not logged, but "who translated when" certainly is... it is
>> logged in the server's HTTP logs.  I think all users should have access
>> to the information contained in those logs.

> I think requiring useful HTTP logs isn't that useful as it puts the
> burden on the wrong shoulders.

I just tried to think how one can get the necessary information without
requiring access to Pootle's inner workings.

> Sure!  If each change if a commit in the translation database, then this
> commit has a date and an author attached to it.  Let's make it visible.

Unless I'm mistaken, the changes are committed to the "translation
database" without any trace of who did what.  In other words, AFAIK,
Pootle does not keep log of which segment was translated by which user,
and/or when each segment was translated.  This is a terrible deficiency
in Pootle (a rather unexpected one, too).

The Gettext PO format does not support attribution at message level.
Translators are acknowledged in the header, that's all.  And PO files
created by Pootle only acknowledges the last translator.  So hey, if you
want to know if you're the last translator of a file, just download it
from Pootle and check the header if your name is there.

But perhaps I'm mistaken... I would love to be corrected in this.

Samuel

--
Samuel Murray
samuel at translate.org.za
Decathlon, for volunteer opensource translations
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/decathlon/