[Localization] Testing your PO files with Pootle

Sayamindu Dasgupta sayamindu at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 10:47:30 EST 2008

Hi,

On Jan 27, 2008 8:42 PM, Yuan Chao <yuanchao at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 27, 2008 6:06 AM, Sayamindu Dasgupta <sayamindu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Pootle lets you test your PO files for some common errors.
> > I added a new section in the Testing page
> Thank you very much. The explanation of this function is very well. I
> also fixed some trivial problems accordingly.
>
> However, the punctuation might not always applied for all locales.
> Also the spacing checks may be not very useful for character glyphs
> based languages.

Yes - some of these tests are specific to some languages. I have read
on the Pootle mailing list that they are trying to have language
specific modules which will modify the test results bases on the
language for which the tests are being carried out.

> > (http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Localization/Testing#Testing_the_PO_files)
> > which explains how to carry out the tests.
> This is also very nice. Just it would be great if the makemo script
> can handle all activities. The locale string can be taken from system
> environment? (I'm a lazy person. :) )

I have started work on a script which would take the zip files from
Pootle, run the checks on them (prints warnings based on these), and
then pushes them into either one of
a) a sugar jhbuild environment
b) a remote machine whose IP is specified (this may be either a real
XO or a Qemu/Virtualbox set up)

Probably I should be able to release something by the end of this
week. (I'm not very familiar with the translate toolkit, and so it is
taking some time).

Cheers,
Sayamindu

--