[Localization] Revamping the glossary

Alexander Dupuy alex.dupuy at mac.com
Fri Feb 29 03:59:36 EST 2008

Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
> Thanks for the pointer to the translate.sourceforge.net page. I think
> that the translate project folks have already managed to achieve what
> I was trying to do.
> I have followed the steps outlined in that page - and I'm attaching
> the output. Does the attached file look more comprehensive ?

It's certainly more comprehensive, but it goes a bit far the other way,
including a lot of terms that only appear once, and stuff that not only
doesn't need to be in the Pootle Terminology, but that probably
shouldn't even be translated ("acos" to "tanh" function names, "1000" to
"10" numbers).  There's also a lot of stuff with different numbers
("Preset 1" "Preset 2") which could easily be collapsed.

Did you use the poglossary  bash script in translate-toolkit-1.1.0?  It
seems to automate the steps in their documentation, so that you can run
it as a single script rather than a whole sequence of commands.

# poglossary - takes a directory of PO files and creates a glossary
# out of them.  The glossary will only contain short phrases and is output
# in PO, TMX and CSV formats.

if [ $# -ne 3 ]; then
        echo "Usage: `basename $0` language-iso-code input-dir project-name"
        echo "  e.g. `basename $0` zu zu-po firefox"
        exit 1
fi

However, this would appear to suffer from most of the same problems as
noted above, and a few others.  Running it on the Spanish PO files
downloaded from Pootle as packaging-es.zip pootle-es.zip update1-es.zip
xo_bundled-es.zip gives 787 msgids in 3621 lines (your version has 605
msgids in 2467 lines).  So it's not really a panacea, but does provide a
convenient starting point for simple modifications.

The word counting approach I described earlier is more complex, but
should provide better results (although it will require significantly
more coding).

@alex

mailto:alex.dupuy at mac.com