[Localization] XOs for Cambodia (was Beth Kanter sent you a message on Facebook...)

Walter Bender walter at laptop.org
Sat Feb 23 09:08:14 EST 2008

> Bringing 20.000 XOs in English into Cambodia now (without
> teacher training, and without maintenance) will only create
> problems for everybody, and will not help one single students,
> because they will not be able to learn how to use them.

Who is intending to bring in English laptops to Cambodia? The whole
point of this thread was to find resources to help ensure we bring
Khmer laptops into Cambodia. I still await feedback regarding the
Khmer keyboard layout: it is currently a blocker for production of
these machines.

Regarding the assertion that children will not be able to use them, I
would love to see the evidence. In all of our trials over the past two
years in almost every corner of the planet, in English and/or in a
local language, children were able to learn to use the laptop with
little if any supervision. (I have every confidence that children in
Cambodia can learn just as readily as children in Thailand or Peru.)

-walter

(PS: the children around the world do most if not all of the
maintenance themselves as well.)

--

Walter Bender
One Laptop per Child