[Localization] XOs for Cambodia (was Beth Kanter sent you a message on Facebook...)

Javier SOLA javier at khmeros.info
Fri Feb 22 10:18:29 EST 2008

Gerard,

I know that this is the wrong forum, but here is how I see it.

There are number of technical problems that any computer for Khmer or
Cambodia has to solve.

- The first one is the difference in size in letters. Some letter are
five times smaller than others. In small text (for a small screem like
the XO) you cannot see the small letters.
- Spacing between lines in Khmer is double than in English (only half
the entries fit in a given menu)
- The second one is that these FOSS applications for which there are
already books and training materials in Khmer... cannot run in the XO
because of its specs (small screen, little memory and little storage).
- The target public for teaching ICT in schools is upper secondary
schools, not primary schools, because they will join the labor force
soon, and the county needs them.
- The only realistic way to teach is in the schools with a trained
teacher. Training teachers, specially in remote areas is very very
expensive.
- Maintenance of laptops is an huge issue.
- The price of a laptop is the money that a rural family needs for one
year... at the minimal problem, the laptop will go (for $25, because
nobody can pay more)

In short, 1) we have something that goes to a different target students
than the Ministry of Education needs (in order to create professional
skills that the country sorely needs). 2) You cannot install in the XO
or use the software that the Ministry has accepted to teach in schools,
and that is starting to be used in Cambodian Society.

If the XO can solve the real problems (to really help the country by
supporting its student training goals and its curriculum) then the XO is
most welcome, but at this point it is more a liability than an asset.
The thought of 20.000 XOs being dropped in Cambodia soon (which means
that they are in English), without any real support in teachers (who
will not volunteer, because they earn $20 a month and have to have other
jobs to survive) and no maintenance... scares the hell out of me, it
will be amazingly disturbing to our work and to the Ministry while it lasts

Nobody in the XO project ever asked what the country needed, they just
assumed, and assumed wrong, because their goal number one was not
solving a given social or educational problem, but to do something that
costs $100... and then try to adapt it to real life... but the specs
were fixed for $100, and they really do not fit the real problems of the
country.

We are doing research on low-power consumption and low-maintenance
computers, but at this point we can only aim at desktops, because it is
the only technology that is sustainable. Experience (many projects with
laptops) has taught us that the projects die very quickly for lack of
maintenance.

The AMD LX850 is on the low end of something that is workable, even with
SuSE, but not with less than 512K of memory (we have tested several
boards). You can run Linux (even SuSE) on 4 GB (such as with the Zombu),
but less is making it too small. For some languages (like Khmer), and
specially for schools, you need large screens (15"), and making it
smaller is making things very difficult. The specs of the XO are short
on all these fronts. Another important issue is to have replacement
parts readily available off-the-shelf, otherwise computers just die.

As happens with the XO, usually computers in poor countries are bought
by donors, but the education system has to maintain them and pay for
electricity. In our costing model, the cost of the computer is much less
important that those two. Our Low Cost computing lab for Education (a
joint project with the Ministry of Education -
http://www.open.org.kh/locolab) is looking at the problem, and then
trying to define models and the type of hardware that is best adapted to
the problem, defining minimum criteria (it has to run Linux, Windows XP,
the applications, and video at a reasonable speed). The XO does not
reach the minimum, as it cannot run KDE or OpenOffice reasonably.... and
if you can run other things that could be trainslated to Khmer... it
would still require training materials, books.. and that would break the
unity that we are trying to give to Linux in Cambodia, and this is the
only way to compete with Windows. It would also take years of work.

Saying, as in the email that has made me join this list to answer, that
anything that does not fit in the XO is too cluttered... is not to
understand the amount of work that takes to do good FOSS software, and
the demands from the market...  you cannot reduce what the country needs
to what you can deliver in an XO, you need to understand what the
country needs.. and as Gerard pointed, "listen". We are not the boss
here, it is the Ministry, we can push them to FOSS, but only because we
have given them something that was a perfect fit for what they needed,
FOSS in Khmer, well localized. with spell-checkers, trianing methods,
textbooks, and trained teachers.

You cannot just parachute laptops in a developing country and hope that
they will help anybody. Education systems have evolved along many years,
and they have methodology and goals, if you do not align yourself to
them, you will surely fail. If the XO can help on this, then it is most
welcome, but at this point I just do not see it, because is fixed in its
specs. If it had been a desktop box, in which you could add more memory,
upgrade the storage, keep it under $200 without screen, and put the
screen that you need, then it would have been better adapted, even if in
this field a board like the Intel "Little Valley" would have been
cheaper and more performant (in exchange for an important increase in
consumption).

If the XO was the best product for what we believe that Cambodia needs,
we would be happy to encourage the government to receive the donations
(the government could never pay for them), but at this moment IMHO it is
just the wrong set of specs. It cannot be considered "one size fits
all", because the most used FOSS software does not fit.

Javier

Gerard Meijssen wrote