[Localization] Language lists

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 01:34:44 EST 2008

On Feb 17, 2008 10:22 PM, Yuan Chao <yuanchao at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 18, 2008 2:16 PM, Edward Cherlin <echerlin at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can we reorganize the main Pootle page? It currently lists languages
> > in alphabetical order in one paragraph. That's difficult to search
> > visually.
> For me, Firefox's "type-n-search" feature serves quite well here. :)
> Also, once you've registered, you can specify certain languages as "my
> language". You don't have to go through the whole list every time.

You alre considering the problem from the point of view of already
knowing the name of the language you seek. Consider Haitian Creole
French, aka Kreyol, aka Ayisyen, or Khmer/Cambodian/Kampuchean. The
search will be much harder for a number of languages of Asia and
Africa that have half a dozen names.

> [...]
> > (South African), English (US), Finnish, French, Friulian, Fula,
> > Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Gujarati, Hausa, Hindi, Icelandic,
> > Igbo, Italian, Japanese, Kinyarwanda, Korean, Macedonian, Malayalam,
> > Maltese, Marathi, Mongolian, Nepali, Pashto, Persian, Polish,
> > Portuguese, Portuguese (Brazil), Punjabi, Quechua, Romanian, Russian,
> > Serbian, Sinhala, Slovenian, Sotho, Spanish, Swedish, Tamil, Telugu,
> > Templates, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Urdu, Vietnamese, Wolof, Yoruba,
> > pseudo L10n
> >

> > I don't know what the best arrangement would be. Perhaps we could
> > offer a separate listing for each obvious choice: alphabetic, by
> > country or region, by writing system? Here is a possible arrangement,
> > with suggestions for other languages needed, some immediately, more
> > later on. It would be helpful, I think, to have more and clearer
> > invitations in the Wiki and on Pootle for members of these communities
> > to start on their languages.
> >
> > Americas: English, English (US), French, Portuguese (Brazil), Spanish,
> > Dutch (need Haitian Creole French/Kreyol)
> > Native American: Aymara, Quechua (several dialects) (need others)
> >
> > Europe: Basque, Bulgarian, Catalan (Catalonia in Spain), Czech,
> > Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, Friulian (Italy), Galician, German,
> > Greek, Icelandic, Italian, Macedonian, Romanian, Russian, Spanish,
> > Polish, Portuguese, Serbian (Cyrillic), Slovenian, Swedish, (need
> > Croatian (Latin), Hungarian, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Slovak,
> > others)
> >
> > Africa: Fula, Kinyarwanda, Wolof, (need Swahili, many others). Also
> > languages of former imperial powers: English, French, Spanish,
> > Portuguese, German, Italian
> > Arab countries: Arabic (need Berber languages)
> > Nigeria: Hausa, Igbo, Yoruba (need Edo, Efik, Adamawa Fulfulde, Idoma,
> > Central Kanuri)
> > South Africa: Afrikaans, English (South African) (need Ndebele,
> > Northern Sotho, Southern Sotho, Swati, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa,
> > Zulu)
> > Ethiopia: Amharic (need Tigrinya)
> >
> > Asia: Japanese, Korean, Mongolian (Cyrillic), Nepali, Persian/Farsi,
> > Sinhala, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese (need Divehi, Khmer, Laotian,
> > Mongolian (Traditional script), Malaysian, Myanmar, Sindhi,
> > Vietnamese)
> > Afghanistan: Dari, Pashto (need Hazaragi, Aimaq)
> > Bangladesh: Bengali
> > China: Chinese (China), Chinese (Hong Kong), Chinese (Taiwan),
> > Dzongkha (need Cantonese, Tibetan, Uighur, Yi, others)
> > India: Bengali (India), Gujarati, Hindi, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi,
> > Tamil, Telugu (need the rest of the official "scheduled" languages:
> > Assamese, Bodo, Dogri, Kannada, Kashmiri, Konkani, Maithili, Meitei,
> > Nepali, Oriya, Sanskrit, Santali, Sindhi, Urdu)
> > Former Soviet Union: Georgian, Ukrainian (need Armenian, Azeri,
> > Belarusian, Kazakh, Tajik, Turkmen, Uzbek, others)
> >
> > Other: Maltese, pseudo L10n (need Kurdish (Iran, Iraq, Syria, Turkey),

I'm not trying to make it simpler. I'm trying to make it easier to use.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/