[Localization] press conference in turkey on february 8?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 22:16:21 EST 2008

On Feb 15, 2008 2:53 PM, Samuel Klein <sj at laptop.org> wrote:
> Alp,
>
> It's great to hear that the national group in Turkey is moving
> forward.  You should write to the localization list (copied here) and
> to sayamindu directly about pootle access.  I don't know the status of
> the case conversion / locale issue, but someone on the list should.

There has been substantial discussion of this issue on the Unicode
mailing list, and it is addressed in The Unicode Standard 5.0. PDFs of
the relevant sections are at

    3.13 Default Case Algorithms
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch03.pdf#G33992
    4.2 Case — Normative
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch04.pdf#G124722
    5.18 Case Mappings
http://www.unicode.org/versions/Unicode5.0.0/ch05.pdf#G21180

> Warmly,
> SJ
>
> On Feb 15, 2008 5:35 PM, Alp Simsek <alpstein at mit.edu> wrote:
> >  Second, while reading the olpc wiki, I came accross the following message:
> > http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Turkish_language
> >  which seems pretty pessimistic about a Turkish localization of Sugar.

Greatly exaggerated. The rules for other Latin alphabets may not work,
but casing is done in Turkish all the time, with appropriate care.
Source code is available in several programming languages.

> > Should I be worried about this, or do you think there is a way out?

See the references above, and address further inquiries to the Unicode
mailing list.
http://www.unicode.org/consortium/distlist.html#uni_list

> >  Alp

Edward Cherlin