[Localization] Please test the SCIM based Amharic keyboard layout

TG tefera at mekuria.com
Fri Dec 5 16:39:18 EST 2008

Yes this is the case with http://dev.laptop.org/~sayamindu/am-olpc.mim

> meaning that pressing y results in የ on the screen. The regular
> Amharic layout in SCIM gives ይ for y.

This is the correct mapping.

> > Please see http://keyboards.ethiopic.org/specification/
> > Most amharic keyboard maping systems in the market today (including
> keyman)
> > fallow the above specification.
>
> That has not been my experience. The Amharic mapping that comes
> standard with SCIM enters Amharic with base keystrokes. When I type q
> w e r t y, I get
>
> ቅ ው እ ር ት ይ

That is the correct mapping. I have not been using the mapping that comes
with SCIM M17N for a very long time. Then the mistake must have been done
some where in between since the mapping at OLPC would give you ቀ ወ አ? ረ ተ የ.

I remember having lot of difficulties with SCIM M17N and that is why I
changed to KFLM.

For the most logical mapping please see the (Appendix B: Amharic Input
Method for a QWERTY Keyboard Layout) in the file
http://keyboards.ethiopic.org/specification/

And that too is the keyman implementation.