[Localization] Languages in 8.2

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 07:59:10 EDT 2008

Hi Sayamindu,

Thanks a lot for adding a list of languages to the 8.2 release notes page:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/8.2.0#Languages_and_keyboards

I noticed that the Language choice in the Sugar control panel:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Image:Sugar_Control_Panel_Language.png

is a little more specific than the name of the language in the list. You
may want to make your list more granular so it matches exactly what the
user has to select in the control panel.

Also, can you double check the keyboard list and fix any errors. I want
to make sure we only list real keyboards that people can order and use.
Let me know if I need to check elsewhere to get you the details on that.
Also, I added English to the keyboard list. Hope I got the syntax and
link correct on that.

Two questions on the languages section:
1 - Are the translations for all of those languages in the build
already? That is, can someone install 8.2 (or its latest Joyride) and
just switch to any of those languages without downloading or installing
an additional bits?

2 - I understand that we have the ability to add a "language pack" after
the fact. I saw this URL on that:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Localization/LanguagePacks

Which XO release allow that? Can that be done on 711 or 708 or 703? Or
perhaps its only possible with 8.2 on.

Those are probably basic questions but I wanted to double check with you
to make sure I have 100% accurate information before I talk with people
in the Rwanda, Haiti and other countries.

BTW someone reminded me yesterday of how hard localization was before
Pootle and the language community came together. This is definitely one
of the most powerful and effective communities in our organization. You
guys are doing great and its making a huge impact!

Thanks,

Greg S