[Localization] Arabic Open Bugs in 8.2.0

Greg Smith gregsmitholpc at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 07:47:31 EDT 2008

Hi All,

We need to pick the right release to use in Arabic speaking countries
starting in September. There may be a delay, but we should be ready to
name the best release at any given time.

Focusing on 8.2.0 I had an exchange with Khaled. I want to identify the
most important open issues for Arabic (and RTL as applicable).

Here is a summary of the thread (apologize it wasn't public before but
it grew out of another exchange):

*****************
GS - Is 8.2.0 as it stands now usable?

Khald - I think it is almost usable, but it lead to sugar be perceived
as "notsupporting Arabic well", and this can easily be avoided.

The "must have" is a more readable font (I've one, and a friend is
packaging it for fedora), icon mirroring and the remaining RTL bit for
Journal.

What might be a real problem is Write which have some text rendering
bugs that are inherited from Abiword and I don't know if Abiword team
made any advance on this front.

**********
Other comments from Khaled:
The next main issue is the mirroring of arrow icons #6562, as it affects
almost every activity.

Other issues include Journal RTL bug #6800, intro screen #3108, and the
zoomtoolbar #6643 (fixed in git).

All those issues have patches, it might not be the cleaner approach, but
it does solve the problem until we have an optimal fix.

************
I want to come up with the must fix, short list of bug IDs to resolve in
8.2.0.

Sayamindu and Khaled,

Can you come up with a list of Arabic bugs and any other actions needed
to make Arabic usable in 8.2.0?

We may locked down Joyride as early as this Wed. After that we need to
convince Michael to accept any check-ins. If we have a coherent set of
open actions and a time frame we will have a better chance of convincing
him to accept new code.

Let me know if you help. I'll give you and Khaled first option but push
back if you don't have time.

Thanks,

Greg S

PS - Save some extra capacity. I see a request coming in for Bengali and
it has a tight deadline too! Will follow up on that ASAP, but please
spread the word now for Bengali (Bangladesh style if that matters)
speakers and engineers.