[Localization] phpmyfaq -- requesting your input

Ed Trager ed.trager at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 09:02:47 EDT 2007

Hi, Todd,

I took a look at the instance of Phpmyfaq at
http://faq.laptopspace.org/ and I am getting corrupted display of the
text for Simplified Chinese, Traditional Chinese, and Arabic.  I did
not test comprehensively, so other scripts may also not appear
correctly.  I did also however test Japanese which seems to be OK.

Note that I tested using Firefox 2.0.0.5 on Linux, Opera 9.10 on
Linux, Safari 3.0.3 on WinXP, Firefox 2.0.0.7 on WinXP, and Internet
Explorer 7.0.5730.11 on WinXP: The problem appears in all of these
browsers, so it is not just a fluke with my browser, fonts, or
workstation.

Looking at the XHTML, I see that there is no reference to UTF-8 in the
HTML of the outer frameset, but there is "<meta
content="application/xhtml+xml; charset=UTF-8"
http-equiv="Content-Type"/>" for the main content frame.  I'm not
really sure why Phpmyfaq is using a frameset anyway, but I am a bit
suspicious that that is not the real problem, although it might be ...

Is there any possibility that some of the data files were corrupted,
perhaps by being untarred during installation in a non-UTF-8 locale
such as a Latin-1 locale or something like that?  The nature of the
corrupted text makes me suspicious about something like that having
occurred.  Or perhaps the web server is not actually set to send out
UTF-8 pages? The HTML headers do appear to have encoding set to UTF-8,
so I'm really not sure what the problem is.

Anyway, it looks like something that should be investigated ...

Best Wishes - Ed Trager