[Localization] pootle interface for packaging translations

Xavier Alvarez xavi.alvarez at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 08:40:50 EST 2007

Jonathan,

Oops! You are right. My bad. Didn't notice that the "text-en" only
shows when editing... As a matter of fact, I filed a ticket about
this kind of issue regarding the "Calculate" activity [1]...

This is a POT file specification issue rather than server
configuration.  This means that it can't be arbitrarily changed
without changing the source from where the POT was extracted...
SJ?

In the meantime, and as far as I can tell, we are left with human
review process to ensure this issue  :(

[1] http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/5023

Cheers,
Xavier

PS: I just sent an email to the Pootle mailing list that could
solve this, but don't expect it to be implemented or available
time soon.

On Thursday 22 November 2007 07:36, Jonathan Kew wrote:
JK> I've just been looking at
JK> https://dev.laptop.org/translate/projects/ packaging/ and
JK> would like to suggest a change to how the information is
JK> presented online for translators, if this is possible.
JK>
JK> The issue I see is that the "Original" column does not
JK> actually show the (English) original text to be translated,
JK> but instead a brief key. The actual original text is shown
JK> in a tooltip when hovering over the key. I think it would be
JK> much more helpful if the "text-en" data could be presented
JK> directly on the page, either replacing the key in the
JK> "Original" column or as an additional column between the key
JK> and the translation.
JK>
JK> With the current presentation, it looks as though some
JK> translators may have been confused about what is actually to
JK> be translated; there are cases where the translation given
JK> for the "topframe" item, for example, which should provide
JK> the titles "Neighborhood / Group / Home / Activity" is
JK> instead a translation of the literal phrase "top frame", or
JK> the "centralicon" item, instead of reading "Shutdown /
JK> Reboot", may be translated as "middle icon".
JK>
JK> I don't know how feasible it would be to reconfigure the
JK> server to present the full English text directly on the
JK> page, but if it is possible, I believe it would greatly
JK> reduce the risk of misunderstandings like this.
JK>
JK> Jonathan

XA
=========
Don't Panic!  The Answer is 42