[LB-XO-LiveCD] questions

Amir Ansari amir at open-edu.co.uk
Mon Apr 13 03:36:33 EDT 2009

A reply to a message from SEPTEMBER! Shame on you all for not replying
to this...

> I downloaded "the bleeding edge joyride versio of the XO-LiveCD",
> currently
> XO-LiveCD_080607.iso
>
> I know little about the use of live CDs.  I bought one for
> SimplyMepis for a
> class on Linux at SeniorNet.  As I understand it, it was to Live to
> prevent
> accidents to the rest of my computer files.  However, I could not
> use it to
> get online, I believe.
LiveCDs provide a way to boot into an operating system without
affecting anything on your computer. Great for testing an OS before
installing it!

You can use them to get online, it all depends on whether your network/
wireless card is detected or not.  Wireless is usually more
problematic than a normal wired connection.  For instance, when I boot
using a Knoppix CD, I can get online easily using any of the browsers
on the CD.

> Now, I have a new laptop, with only SUSE.9 on it.  I bought a book:
> "Linux
> for Dummies" and I am stuck there.
>
> Question:  Is it possible to just *copy *this file which is on my
> hard disk
> to a blank CD?
> Instructions seem to say this file needs to be on a CD, and then
> moved to a
> fresh CD. If not, then I should buy a XO-LiveCD?
It's a bit difficult to understand what you mean here. Which file do
you mean? Which instructions are telling you this?

Guessing at an answer: No, you can't just copy a file from hard disk
to CD and expect it to boot from the CD.

Generally, you shouldn't be thinking about buying any Linux CDs. Many
distributions are supplied on magazine coverdisks, and the XO-LiveCD
can be downloaded and burned to a blank CD.

> I had a couple of G1G1 last year which have been sent on to
> children, but I
> became enamoured with the whole big idea, and have been following
> progress
> of this tool's acceptance. I have been told I may download SUGAR,
> and I
> would like to "play with it" as I return to tutoring a first grade
> child at
> a nearby elementary school in Indianapolis.
There seem to be several versions of Sugar available for users to
experiment with. Try downloading from here: http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Downloads

> Question:  The book "Linux for Dummies" has a DVD in it, which could
> be
> fitted into my new laptop.  I have never owned anything but a PC, so
> I am
> ignorant here too.
PCs are the intended target for these kinds of CDs/DVDs. I'm guessing
the book's DVD is a bootable operating system.  [Just checked on
Amazon: seems to be Fedora]  You can probably use it like a LiveCD or
install it to your hard drive.  Only do the latter if you're sure you
want to wipe everything off your computer!

> Would you offer a suggestion in regard to this as well?  I have no
> intention
> to become a developer, tho.  Thanks, JaneB
My suggestion is that you use the book for reference only. If you're
not happy with SuSE on your laptop, you can try the Ubuntu
distribution (http://www.ubuntu.com) which is reputed to have
excellent support for most computers and users.  There are also very
active fora for new users.

Keep reading the 'Dummy' books - they do provide a good introduction
to computing!  And finally, as a Linux developer and educator, I wish
to assure you that the 'support' you received here isn't
representative of the community...

Amir