[LB-XO-LiveCD] RFC about the next XO-LiveCD release

wolfgang at rohrmoser-engineering.de wolfgang at rohrmoser-engineering.de
Tue May 13 15:40:02 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 13 May 2008 20:01, you wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I (as a volunteer in Japan) have been trying to customize LiveCD for
> CJK localization but without success.  Please let me ask your insight
> and help on this.
> Japanese and CJK community have been using XO with localization that
> including installation of input meethod (SCIM for most of Japanese)
> and additional font.  Our favorite customization is explained in wiki
>
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Customising_XO_for_Japanese_language_from_the_com
>mand_line/lang-ja (sorry Japanese only)
>
> I think installing SCIM rpm by startup script in LiveCD is very hard
> (I newbie actually tried it) and customizing os image before building
> into livecd seems only way to do this.  Is my understanding correct?

I am glad to tell you that installation of additional RPM's will be possible
with the next CD version. The reason is that the latest version of the
overlay filesystem (aufs) is now working for us. I already put  a few RPM
packages on the new CD. You just need to place them in a top level
directory and they will get installed automatically by the scripts.

> It would be great if documentation cover such kind of customization
> (i.e. install additional rpm into image).  more great if needed stuff
> is preinstalled in LiveCD, ofcourse...
>
> Cheers,
> /Korakurider

Cheers