[LB-XO-LiveCD] RFC about the next XO-LiveCD release

wolfgang at rohrmoser-engineering.de wolfgang at rohrmoser-engineering.de
Tue May 13 03:36:30 EDT 2008

Hi,

I am preparing the next XO-LiveCD, which is planed to be released in about 2
weeks. The main new features will be:

   * based on build 703
   * you can try out the new SUGAR design by booting a recent OLPC
     joyride version
   * more Xorg graphic drivers and improved X11 auto configuration
   * a new script to write the Live-ISO image on USB boot devices
   * bug fixes, updates and new activities
   * linux kernel 2.6.24.4 with aufs filesystem

I would like to ask the list for feedback/opinions regarding the following
questions:

   * which activities should be preinstalled? The current list (see below) is
     continuously tested by my two kids (8+13 years). Are there any
     suggestions .. ??.

   * technically it would be possible to replace the
     gnash player (8.0 r99) plugin by Adobe
     Flash Player 9.  Adobe seems to have a suitable licence model to
     distribute their player on CD's. ( http://www.adobe.com/licensing/ ).
     I already verified that this step would open the door to multimedia
     content like youtube.com, tageschau.de, .... What's your opinion?

  * to demonstrate OLPC collaboration we need to preconfigure an
    ejabber server. Right now I use xochat.org. What are your suggestions?

wolfgang

-------------

current activity list preinstalled on the XO-LiveCD:

Activity_Bundles/01_G1G1:
   AcousticMeasure-12.xo
   Analyze-5.xo
   Calculate-18.xo
   Chat-35.xo
   Etoys-80.xo
   Log-6.xo
   Measure-17.xo
   Memorize-26.xo
   NewsReader-24.xo
   Paint-19.xo
   Pippy-20.xo
   Read-44.xo
   Record-54.xo
   TamTamEdit-47.xo
   TamTamJam-48.xo
   TamTamMini-46.xo
   TamTamSynthLab-48.xo
   Terminal-9.xo
   TurtleArt-7.xo
   Web-86.xo
   Write-55.xo

Activity_Bundles/02_Extra:
  BlockParty-7.xo
  branches-stable-ImageQuiz.activity-ImageQuiz.xo
  CartoonBuilder-RC-1.7.xo
  Clock-2.xo
  DrGeoII-3.xo
  FlipSticks-RC-1.4.xo