[LB-XO-LiveCD] RFC about the next XO-LiveCD release

Dr.-Ing. Rohrmoser contact at rohrmoser-engineering.de
Mon Jun 9 03:07:09 EDT 2008

On Tuesday 13 May 2008 18:44, you wrote:

> [snipped]
>
> Here's a suggestion, but this is not necessarily for the live CD. Maybe
> this can be a variant. The idea is to package a pre-configured LTSP
> server (http://www.ltsp.org/) with the CD such as what EduKnoppix does.
> http://media.lug-marl.de/doc/fsub-edu-knoppix/
>
> The utility of such a live CD will be provide a live LTSP environment in
> a classroom/lab setting and allow people to PXE boot into Sugar from the
> thin client/desktop side. We currently have a dedicated LTSP setup for
> Ubuntu, which allows us to run 32 desktop thin clients without any
> installation. This proposed live CD would allow people to do the same,
> but using a live CD on the server side. This way, schools that already
> have labs can try Sugar in lab environments.
>
> Sameer

Good point !

The PXE boot feature for clients in a classroom is already available. The
LiveBackup-Framework which is used to build the XO-LiveCD supports
such a configuration. You can use any Linux Server to distribute the Live-CD
in a network. The basic steps are:

 * mount the CD and make the content available by NFS.
 * configure the DHCP server for PXE
 * create a suitable tftp configuration
 * rebuild the initrd (using LiveBackup scripts) to include all
   required  NIC drivers

Anyway, if there is a request for such a configuration the procedure
for classroom administrators can be simplified by providing a
separate LTSP Live-CD.

Wolfgang