[linux-mm-cc] [OFFTOPIC] SD wear-levelling

John Kielkopf john at webifi.com
Thu Sep 2 10:12:37 EDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 3:23 AM, Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca>wrote:

> Ah, now that makes sense.
> So yes, it would be good to be able to tweak Linux's swap handling so it
> tries to write in chunks that are erase-block sized and aligned, as far
> as possible.  Tho maybe trying to just maximize the chunk size (without
> paying particular attention to a particular size or alignment) would be
> good enough.

It would seem, rather than starting from scratch, compcache could be a
useful starting point.  The compression compcache provides should help
greatly with the the general bandwidth issues of any NAND based device,
reducing the amount of data transferred.  And because of compcache's
compression, I'm assuming it already needs to re-map compressed pages -- an
area that could hopefully be tweaked to re-map into neat erase block sized
buffers before finally committing them to a block storage device.