[linux-mm-cc] Is swap notify in 2.6.34?

Nitin Gupta ngupta at vflare.org
Sat May 22 03:01:07 EDT 2010

On 05/22/2010 10:35 AM, John McCabe-Dansted wrote:
> On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 3:44 AM, Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy at gmail.com> wrote:
>> First of all a big thank you work working on compcache!
>> Is sawp notify support already in 2.6.34
>
> Apparently not:
>   http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-mm-cc@lists.laptop.org/msg00177.html
>
>> , or if not, is integration
>> into mainline planned?
>
> Yes, Nitin Gupta has recently resubmitted the patches
>   http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/5/7/54
>
> Now Torvalds seems to be happy :)
>   http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/5/7/224

Its now in mainline. So, it will be part of 2.6.35 :)

> OT: There was some discussions of the stats ioctl
>    http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/5/8/11
> I found the old /proc/rzstats type interface more useful myself.
> Currently I need to do a sudo just to read some stats. I could set up
> some SUID binary to do this for me but I am not sure why the old
> /proc/ interface was replaced.

I'm now planning to export stats through /sys interface.

Also, I've changes under testing that allow ramzswap devices to be used
for *any* purpose, not just for swap. So, you could now say create ext4
filesystem over these devices and mount it as /tmp. Considering generic
nature of these devices, now they will be renamed as /dev/zramX (X = 1, 2 ...).

Thanks,
Nitin