[linux-mm-cc] Question using compacache(zram) with multi devices

Nitin Gupta nitingupta910 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 24 02:18:25 EST 2010

On 12/24/2010 02:05 AM, John McCabe-Dansted wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 24, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Mike Cao<bcao at redhat.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>>  From the page you linked "zram can be used to provide a compressed
>>> swap, while zcache compresses filesystem cache pages". AFAICT zram and
>>> zcache are two different tools for two different purposes.
>>>
>> I thought they should be the same thing, zcache now called zram.if
>> not ,how we can make zcache tool ?
>
> I haven't found instructions on how to use zcache, but the difference
> between zram and zcache is discussed here:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/397574/

The article is slightly misleading -- it gives the impression that
zcache was developed to *replace* zram.   In fact, zram and zcache are
quite different: zcache compresses filesystem caches only and not
anonymous (heap) pages, OTOH zram compression only anonymous pages and
not pagecache pages.

Currently, there is no easy way to test zcache as cleancache -- which is
zcache's backend -- is not yet in mainline (or even staging).

Nitin