[linux-mm-cc] Question using compacache(zram) with multi devices

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Thu Dec 23 02:16:25 EST 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Mike Cao <bcao at redhat.com> wrote:
> Scenario 1:
> 1.Initialize TWO zram devices with 100MB each.
> Scenario 2:
> 1.Initialize ONE zram devices with 200MB
> Both of scenarios,I can find 200MB swap new added.then What's the
> difference between the two scenarios ,especially for performance
> influence?

Probably not much. I imagine the main difference is that in Scenario 1
you can adjust the amount of compcache more easily as you have the
option of disabling one of the two 100MB swap devices.

Presumably Scenario 1 uses up a little more memory. It may also reduce
lock contention slightly on machines with lots of cores, but I am not
familiar enough with the code to know if that is the case.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted