[linux-mm-cc] (no subject)

John Kielkopf john at webifi.com
Tue Aug 31 09:12:55 EDT 2010

On Tue, Aug 31, 2010 at 5:47 AM, Stefan Monnier <monnier at iro.umontreal.ca>  wrote:

> Could be.  That depends on the particular card you use, tho,
since  the
   > algorithm used by the translation layer varies.

  The only relevant thing that varies from SD card to SD card is
 the size of the erase block.   Any re-mapping SDs (and
most  SSDs) do  are at the erase block level.

  Wear
leveling algorithms vary -- but as far as I know,  the majority are
still based around the erase block.  (e.g.: When a group of sectors
written are smaller than the  size of an erase  block, the remaining
sectors are read from the erase block, combined  with the new data, and
then written to a free block with the lowest  amount of writes.)

I'm interested in seeing an SD card that remaps at a finer grain than
its erase block.