[linux-mm-cc] ramzswap not working

Nitin Gupta ngupta at vflare.org
Mon Oct 5 11:18:42 EDT 2009

On 10/05/2009 08:11 PM, Pranith Kumar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the source through mercurial and did a make on Ubuntu 9.04.
>
> There were no compile errors. I followed the readme and installed the modules.
>
> I booted my system with mem=512M.
>
> This is what I get with stats:
>
> bobby at lappy:~/compcache$ sudo sub-projects/rzscontrol/rzscontrol
> /dev/ramzswap0  --stats
> DiskSize:	  125076 kB
> NumReads:	      69
> NumWrites:	       0
> FailedReads:	       0
> FailedWrites:	       0
> InvalidIO:	       0
> NotifyFree:	       0
> PagesDiscard:	       0
> ZeroPages:	       0
> GoodCompress:	       0 %
> NoCompress:	       0 %
> PagesStored:	       0
> PagesUsed:	       0
> OrigDataSize:	       0 kB
> ComprDataSize:	       0 kB
> MemUsedTotal:	       0 kB
>
> Also:
>
> bobby at lappy:~/compcache$ free -m
>                    total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> Mem:           488        482          6          0         51        127
> -/+ buffers/cache:        303        185
> Swap:         1714        256       1457
>

> Is there anything I am missing??

Looks like you have another swap device which has priority higher than ramzswap.
Check with: cat /proc/swaps
It will show active swaps and their priority.

To set highest priority for ramzswap, do:
swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 10
('10' is the priority -- use any number higher than priority of any existing swaps)

As a side note: always reset ramzswap device after you do swapoff:
swapoff /dev/ramzswap0; rzscontrol /dev/ramzswap0 --reset

Thanks,
Nitin