[linux-mm-cc] Questions about MemLimit

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 08:52:48 EDT 2009

Hello,

Fist of all thanks a lot for CompCache.
I've a few machines which suffer from too little memory, and compcache
seems a great way to expand it a bit :)

I have some troubles understanding the various parameters compcache provides.
My machine is equipped with 512MB memory, and I would like to dedicate
200-250mb to compcache, so I set memLimit to 200mb.
Am I right that memlimit means the maximum size compcache may allocate
from main memory?

What I don't understand is why OrigDataSize seems to be more or less
fixed at about 300mb, and why only 87mb of memory actually seem to be
used, although I set memlimit to 200mb.
Even when I start many applications those values won't change much,
although the machine already starts to swap a lot (to physical
harddisk).

Thanks again, Clemens

DiskSize:         489982 kB
MemLimit:         200000 kB