[linux-mm-cc] Fwd: interbench result

Nai Xia nai.xia at gmail.com
Tue May 13 00:21:01 EDT 2008

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Nai Xia <nai.xia at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, May 12, 2008 at 11:58 PM
Subject: Re: [linux-mm-cc] interbench result
To: John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht at gmail.com>

On Mon, May 12, 2008 at 10:44 PM, John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht at gmail.com> wrote:
 > I find the following format easier to understand, and have attached Nai's

 Yes, you are right, :)

 > result in this format. Additionally I have generated results for my P3-500
 > with 256MB of ram and 512MB of compcache, and included the scripts I used.
 >
 > Anyway, Nai do you have an interpretation  of this data? Also, is the memory

 Well, actually I am thinking although interbench was a good
 Interactivity benchmark tool,
 it may not distinguish compcache much. For most of the numbers are
 related to CPU timing,
 but all the simulated programs do not change RAM usage when they are
 waked up or sleep.
 I am thinking that the result is of little relevance to the amount of
 PHY RAM it has, it is designed
 for scheduler.(I will do additional test to prove this).

 By now, from my point of view, what we really need is a
 famous/standard benchmark that makes anonymous pages compete
 drastically with file cached pages (like kpdf & firefox )---- that is
 indeed where compcache stands like a real hero.

 How do you feel, Nitin ?

 > used in any sense of "normal" compressibility?

 I did not record the compressibility, since I thought intercepting
 interbench might change the result .....

 > (N)o Swap, (C)ompressed Cache only, (L)ocal physical swap.
 >

 >   --- Benchmarking simulated cpu of Gaming in the presence of simulated ---
 >   Load  Latency +/- SD (ms)  Max Latency   % Desired CPU
 > N None    0.284 +/- 0.354       2.42            99.7
 > C None    0.373 +/- 0.956       13.6            99.6
 > L None     0.34 +/- 0.582       4.02            99.7
 >
 > N Video    68.7 +/- 68.9        75.9            59.3
 > C Video    65.8 +/- 67.5          75            60.3
 > L Video    68.6 +/- 68.9        78.2            59.3
 >

 > --
 > John C. McCabe-Dansted
 > PhD Student
 >  University of Western Australia