[linux-mm-cc] First experience of compressed cache

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 06:47:49 EDT 2008

Nitin Gupta isn't online at the moment, so I'll try to answer a couple
of points.

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 6:07 PM,  <nai.xia at gmail.com> wrote:
>  2. Booted them with default loaded compcache (that means 25% of RAM was used as ramswap).

Actually it means that the ramzswap0 device is 25% of the size of ram.
This means that up to 12.5% of ram will be used, assuming a 2:1
compression ratio.

>  I get from the paper "Adaptive Compressed Caching: Design and Implementation"

I understand that compcache-0.3 is not adaptive, unfortunately.

>  that this method should suit to both hard swap backed cache and file cache,
>  while it seems that the features are still not in your code.

I don't know what you mean by "hard swap backed cache". I understand
that compcache-0.3 only compresses anonymous pages, not pages backed
by the filesystem (i.e. pages in the "file cache")

> will all that features planned on the roadmap of the version based on kernel
> 2.6? (sorry, I did not find roadmap info in the project homepage)

I don't know Gupta's plans, but I understand that we want to keep the
compcache smallish without the need for any invasive patches, so that
it is easy to get into the official kernel. That being said, it seems
like we could implement some form of adaptive memory use without
needed invasive patches.

> I am very much interested in this project, however I am still a kernel newbie.

Same here :)

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student