[linux-mm-cc] Ubuntu LiveCD patches, packages; on to Knoppix?

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 07:48:12 EDT 2008

I have tested compcache-0.2 heavily on Ubuntu, and it seemed stable.
CompCache-0.2 Patchs for the 7.10 live cds are availiable here (<1MB):
  http://www.ucc.asn.au/~mccabedj/ccache
I have also packaged compcache for Ubuntu (although it seems unlikely
that it will be included in Hardy, due to the freeze in effect).
Freeze exception request are handled as bugs by Ubuntu, see:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24/+bug/200765
(packaged modules)
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/193552
(packaged initscripts etc)
Compcache would allow the users to be able to install Hardy on 256MB
machines without any special fiddling (even if 32MB has been stolen by
the video card). This requires a compcache memsize over 100%. I cap
the compcache as min(150%,299MB) as compcache still seems stable and
reasonably responsive under these conditions. A huge compcache is
better than oom kills while attempting to install.  Since 150% is
ridiculous when real swap is available, I swapoff once partitioning is
complete. I don't bother swapping on a smaller compcache, as physical
swap is fast enough for our purposes.

Shall I offer to assist Klaus Knopper in enhancing the Knoppix liveCD
with compcache, or shall I wait until some milestone has been reached?

In any case, I will probably be quite busy with other things till
March 31 and Knopper is also very busy (4500 unanswered emails in his
inbox, according to his contact form)

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student