[linux-mm-cc] Announce: ccache release 0.1

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 09:19:21 EST 2008

On Sat, Feb 23, 2008 at 1:07 PM, John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Well, renaming /dev/compcache to something like ramcswap hides it from
>  the installer. Presumably the installer is smart enough to know that
>  it shouldn't install to anything starting with "ram". Any Linux based
>  installer should have a similar feature, given the existence of
>  /dev/ram0 etc.

Another way of hiding it from the installer is to rename it to
something like "compcache0". This also makes sense as you can't
partition e.g. hda1.

If /dev/compcache was named compcache0 that would also ease the
transition to a potential future version that allows more than one
swap device. This may be useful e.g.
  - for dynamically altering the amount of memory allocated to compcache.
  - for having a moderate sized cc that is used in preference to hdd
and a large sized cc that is used only as a last resort.
  - possibly if the different compcache devices had different
properties (lzo v.s. gz etc.)

Yet another way of hiding it is to rm it after we swapon. This seems
like overkill.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student