[linux-mm-cc] compcache with swap free notify support
nitingupta910 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 04:59:37 EDT 2008
Attached is the patch for much refined version of compcache (for
kernel 2.6.26-rc6). This version saves lot more memory than previous
versions since it now know when a swap page is no longer in use. So,
unlike previous versions, it will not store junk data which system no
longer requires. Detailed changelog is given below.
Changelog: this patch vs compcache 0.3:
- we get callback when a swap page is no longer used
- all locks in allocator changed to spinlock (earlier mutex)
- lot of cleanups: no compile warnings on x86 and x86_64
Now, to use compcache, you need to:
- Apply this patch to 2.6.26-rc6
- In kernel config, enable (as module or in-built): Device Drivers
--> Block Devices --> Compressed RAM based swap device (also enable
two sub-options: debugging and stats)
- Then in new kernel load compcache module and enable "ramzswap"
device (modprobe compcache; swapon /dev/ramzswap0 -p 100).
Performance numbers (in term of memory saving and performance gain)
should be much better with this patch than compcache-0.3.
This patch is also available in
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 46291 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/linux-mm-cc/attachments/20080616/bb613f9b/attachment-0001.obj
More information about the linux-mm-cc