[linux-mm-cc] Announce: ccache release 0.1

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 11:16:41 EST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 6:39 AM, Nitin Gupta <nitingupta910 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am excited to announce first release of ccache - Compressed RAM
> based swap device for Linux (2.6.x kernel).
>   - Project home: http://code.google.com/p/ccache/
>   - ccache-0.1: http://ccache.googlecode.com/files/ccache-0.1.tar.bz2

I find it counter intuitive that ccache-0.1 is newer than ccache-2.4:
http://ccache.samba.org/

Perhaps you should rename this, perhaps to ccacheM (module).

FYI, ccache still seems solid under Hardy.
A 128MB ccache swap allowed me to easily install from the liveCD on a
VM with only 192MB of ram, rather than the 384MB officially required
for Gutsy.
However I found a funny bug in ubiquity:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/193267
  http://www.ucc.asn.au/~mccabedj/ccache/Screenshot-Hardy-fdccache.png
Installing Hardy to /dev/ccache sound like a great idea ;)

I am using a DualCore, with the iso sitting on the harddisk, so a real
low-mem machine could be a lot slower.  however Ubuntu is meant to
require 384MB of memory to install and 256MB of memory to use. It
seems that by adding ccache to the liveCD we could just state a single
figure of 256MB (which is 64MB less than 256MB, so we are giving
ourselves plenty of breathing space for RAM stealing video cards,
unexpected usage spikes etc.)

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student