[linux-mm-cc] Announce: ccache release 0.1

Nitin Gupta nitingupta910 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 09:04:59 EST 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 6:37 PM, John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 19, 2008 9:06 PM, Nitin Gupta <nitingupta910 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > It caused Gutsy (2.6.22-14-generic) to crash when I did a swap off of
> > > my hdd swap. I have a GB of ram, so I would have been fine without
> > > ccache.
> >
> > These days "desktops with small memory" probably means virtual
> > machines with, say, <512M RAM :-)
>
> The Hardy liveCD is really snappy with a 192MB VM and and a 128MB
> ccache swap. :)

Good to know :)

> > > I had swapped on a 400MB ccache swap.
> > >

> > I need /var/log/messages (or whatever file kernel logs to in Gutsy) to
> > debug this.
> > Please send it to me offline if its too big.
>
> This seems to be the bit you want:

Unfortunately none of these messages suggest why crash happened.
If you can send entire log, that will probably be more useful.

> ubuntu-xp syslogd 1.4.1#21ubuntu3: restart.
> Feb 19 08:07:31 ubuntu-xp -- MARK --
> Feb 19 18:47:31 ubuntu-xp -- MARK --
> Feb 19 18:59:51 ubuntu-xp kernel: [377208.185464] ccache: Unknown
> symbol lzo1x_decompress_safe
<snip>

All these 'Unknown symbol' messages are because you tried loading
ccache.ko module before tlsf.ko and lzo*.ko modules.

> > > BTW, why is the default 10% of mem?
> >
> > I have no great justification for "10%".
>
> Perhaps 100% (or maybe 50%) would be a more sensible default? For me
> 66% makes a huge difference to the Hardy liveCD performance. 10% makes
> a difference but 50%+ goes from "ls /" taking 10s to snappy
> performance even on large applications like Firefox.

I think this depends a lot on kind of workload and system. For e.g:
- On desktops, retaining too many anonymous pages at cost of
continuously losing page-cache (filesystem-backed) pages can hurt
performance for workload that repeatedly access same file(s).
- On embedded systems, too much de/compression will drain all battery.
and so on...

Also, I don't know which of  these use cases is more "common".

- Nitin