[linux-mm-cc] compcache-0.5pre1 release

Nitin Gupta nitingupta910 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 10:27:27 EST 2008

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 6:20 PM, John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:36 PM, John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I also don't understand how you are getting these crashes on
>>> 32/64-bit. Try latest SVN - it should run just fine (it now also
>>> handles case for uncompressible pages).
>>
>> I haven't got any crashes in my 32bit VM using the latest SVN. Your
>> new code seems stable so far.
>

> OK, I've got two crashes running SVN on the metal (64bit). There is
> nothing in syslog. I configured a 1.5GB ramzswap on a machine with 2GB
> of ram. I filled memory by creating large empty pictures in Gimp.
> First time it crashed after ~1GB of swap was used, the second after
> ~0.3GB.

So what happens when it crashes - only gimp killed or complete system freeze?
In case of system freeze, syslog might not get flushed to disk. Try
using "sysrq" feature - this will allows emergency flush, getting
backtrace etc.

To enable sysrq echo 1 to /proc/sys/kernrel/sysrq
then use ALT+sysrq+s for disk flush when system freezes. Maybe this
will give something useful in syslog.
(you can see other useful sysrq combinations at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key)

Also, I now have 64-bit Linux VM ready, so will try to repro too.

Thanks,
Nitin