[linux-mm-cc] compcache-0.5pre1 release

John McCabe-Dansted gmatht at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 10:05:30 EST 2008

On Sun, Dec 28, 2008 at 10:36 PM, John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht at gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI, I have attached another patch. This fixes the above error, but
> there is still another bug. AFAICT now all page reads report that
> decompression failed. I do not know what causes this bug, and this
> patch is still  filled with extra pr_info("Debug ...") lines to help
> my try to track this down. I'll look into this as time permits.

OK, fixed this. This patch still doesn't attempt to support 64bit and
leads to crashes even on 32bit... I don't know if this is a new bug in
my code or yours, I remember your original code being crashy as well,
but I blamed this on the swap write errors.

If I swapon, it may crash on heavy load, and also

# tar -c / > /dev/ramzswap0
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
tar: Removing leading `/' from hard link targets
<then it just hangs>

#tar -c / |  gzip > /dev/ramzswap0
OTOH seems stable, as does
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ramzswap0

Also, why do we initialize the swap in the module? Why don't we just
run mkswap /dev/ramzswap0?

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student