No subject

Sun Aug 31 06:38:52 EDT 2008

didn't use any fancy mutexes. Compcache-0.2 and compcache-0.1 were
buggy and shouldn't be used regardless. Even if 0.3 doesn't work on
.16 it should be trivial to fix.

* See e.g. http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.16

$ grep mutex compcache-0.3/compcache.c
#include <linux/mutex.h>
                mutex_lock(&compcache.lock);
                        mutex_unlock(&compcache.lock);
                        mutex_unlock(&compcache.lock);
                mutex_unlock(&compcache.lock);
        mutex_init(&compcache.lock);

> I know that it is highly recommended to use the latest version of compcache, but

I think 0.4 was basically just performance tweaks. I have been using
0.3 for ages and haven't had any real trouble. Just don't try to
allocate a >= 4GB device because 0.3  doesn't check for integer
overflow.

--
John C. McCabe-Dansted
PhD Student