[linux-mm-cc] First experience of compressed cache

Nai Xia nai.xia at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 01:39:09 EDT 2008

Hi, Nitin,

On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:46 PM, Nitin Gupta <nitingupta910 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 7:08 PM, John McCabe-Dansted <gmatht at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Nitin Gupta <nitingupta910 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  >  >  that page is freed. I am holding changes to fix these issues till it
>  >  >  at least present code
>  >  >  get mainline.
>  >
>  >  I understand that Linus likes small initial patches, so it seems
>  >  reasonable to submit to mainline before adding any more features. The
>  >  code has already been tested in a number of environments, under both
>  >  i386 and x86_64...
>  >
>  >  So what needs to be done before it is ready for mainline?
>  >
>  >
>  >

>  I already submitted compcache as kernel patch to LKML.
>  But I need to get more numbers on allocator performance. See:

Hi, I took a look at the allocator wiki,
My previous experience with Vmware gave me the impression
that profiling of functions' call time in it is sometimes unstable.
Do you want a new profiling result based on real hardware?

>  http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/24/181

The comments in this thread seemed to suggest
the direct comparison with kmalloc,
while the current wiki benchmark is based on user space.
If you already have the test suit for kernel,
I wanna have a try in my environment.