[linux-mm-cc] [RFC] LZO de/compression support - take 6

Nitin Gupta nitingupta910 at gmail.com
Tue May 29 01:55:52 EDT 2007

On 5/28/07, Adrian Bunk <bunk at stusta.de> wrote:
> On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 09:33:32PM +0530, Nitin Gupta wrote:
> > On 5/28/07, Adrian Bunk <bunk at stusta.de> wrote:

<snip>

> I have not seen any explanations:
> - Why did the upstream author write the code that way?
> - Why are your changes correct?
> - Why do your changes allow the compiler to produce faster code?
>
> The upstream author of the code is available - and he might be able to
> help you getting answers. No matter whether your changes are incorrect
> or correct optimizations that should go upstream, in both cases
> discussing these issues with upstream is the best solution.

The changelog I posted along with patch mentions all the changes I
made. I thought we will find all problems with this changelog in hand
and considering that its  just ~500 LOC.   But still, ok, asking
author himself will be good if he replies. I will mail him detailed
changelog and seek his feedback on this. This should answer all of
your questions.

> And testing is nice, but if you broke some case that's outside of your
> tests you'll never notice.

Yes. We cannot come up with exhaustive set of test cases to cover all
cases. But assuming that _original_ version is right and taking the
chagelog we should be able to verify if the porting is correct.

- Nitin