[linux-mm-cc] New allocator for ccache

Nitin Gupta nitingupta910 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 07:54:36 EDT 2007

Details here: http://linux-mm.org/VStore

Suggestions welcome!

---
Hi All,

I just finished first draft of the new allocator to be used in ccache. This
significantly reduces metadata overhead compared to existing one being used
and should also give better performance since it tries to _avoid_ data from
being scattered across multiple pages.

I intend to keep details of ccaching completely separate from this
allocator. This will allow us to keep improving this without breaking any
other ccache thing. When details look reasonably good on paper, we can go
ahead with the implementation - VStore kernel module.

Once this allocator is implemented, the ccaching project will reduce to
simple use of the exported API from VStore and LZO modules. This should
result in clean and easily verifiable code.
(support for WKdm and WK4x4 will be dropped till someone gets it into
mainline).

Cheers,
Nitin