[linux-mm-cc] Memory leak detection tests on compressed cache code

Allan Bezerra allan.bezerra at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 14:26:43 EST 2006

Hi All,

For those who may be interested, I made some tests to verify the presence
(or not) of memory leak in the cache compression code. For this, I used
latest kmemleak patch sent for LKML by Catalin Marinas:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/cmarinas/kmemleak/patch-2.6.19-rc1-kmemleak-0.11.bz2

I tested this as: (like gupta tests)
RAM: 128MB
ccache for anon pages - size: 5MB (1280 pages)
ccache for page cache pages - size: 10MB (2560 pages)

Launched openoffice-writer, gimp, firefox, kate, konsole. Closed
these, re-opened, open some web-pages, some file in writer,
close all, open all again.

Test showed that ***no memory leaks*** was found in compressed cache code.
:-)

Usage:

* Set compressed cache size (in unit of no. of
pages) for anonymous(swap-cache) and
filesystem-backed(page-cache) pages respectively.
/proc/sys/vm/{max_anon_cc_size,max_fs_backed_cc_size}

* To display the possible memory leaks:

mount -t debugfs nodev /sys/kernel/debug
cat /sys/kernel/debug/memleak